- Choose the indoor composter that best matches your life style.
– Electric dehydrator
– Worm Bin
– Under the Sink or Garage Composting Container
- Follow the West Central Iowa Solid Waste Backyard Composting Recipe, and do a little further research, there are many items that can be composted beyond the list on the recipe card.
- Worm composting follows the WCISW recipe of Carbon & Nitrogen. Gather both materials for your worm bin.
- Under the sink containers will require their own prepackaged carbon mix.
- Electric Dehydrators – follow instructions for ingredients.
- Gather the black decomposed soil amendment from the compost container. It can be sprinkled directly over your lawn or around trees for fertilizer and a moisture enriching supplement. It can be mixed with existing garden soil or potting soil at a 1-part compost to 2- parts soil ratio.
- Under the Sink containers will have spouts for draining the liquid from the composter. This liquid is gold…perfect fertilizer for plants. Apply directly to garden or house plants.